When I reflect on the kind of tourism professional that I want to be, I am not sure that I have the kind of answer in mind that is usually expected. This is of course a very subjective assessment – I don’t have an adequate way of judging what could or could not be expected from this type of writing. But I think that within the university context, most people come to have some sort of career-oriented answer – one that reflects their values but also their idea of a successful work life.

If I am being honest, I have never been too interested in having a proper career myself, and I am not sure that this has changed throughout my studies. I am passionate about lifelong learning and could see myself potentially going on after the bachelor to pursue a master’s degree. When talking to others who have made that choice, I have sometimes heard people refer to their program as nothing more than a steppingstone, a checkbox to fill so they can move on to better jobs or PhDs. This is of course an absolutely valid approach, but it is not mine. If I was to continue school, it would be because of my passion for the subject and out of curiosity for all that remains to learn.

Ideally, my job may reflect the type of person I am or the type of person that I want to be. But I have come to realize that one of my core philosophies in life is this: Instead of wanting to make a big impact or leaving a legacy, I believe that the world might be a little bit better if we all strived to leave as small of an impact as possible.

—TBC—